Re: ok, why won't x work

Hello douglas,

On 27-Jul-99, LeeE wrote:

[snip...]

> But X won't start. I only get "can't find config file" and "tried
> (such and such) files"
>
> The bad news is that the config file is exactly where it said it
> looked!  The config file itself won't run, and the xf86setup is there,
> but won't run either.

I found the same thing (over the last 5 days) installing to an Amiga
A1200.  In my case the file _wasn't_ there (/etc/X11/) but when I
copied the example XF86Config (sorry - I forget the path but try "find
-name XF86Config* -print") I eventually got X-Windows to start.  First
of all though, I mis-read the doc and named it "XF86Config." - notice
the ".", then I put it in the wrong place.  Fortunately, I'd installed
'xdm' to 'have a look at' once I'd got X-Windows running.  I say
'fortunately' because so far, that's the only way that X-Windows seems
to start properly for me - more RTFM'ing to do re that.  At the moment
I'm still messing with the Frame Buffer Device settings - I've got a
reasonably proportioned and positioned 800x600 screen running now (1
bit depth only) and I can also set an 800x600x1-8 console.  All the
docs I've looked at so far are either incorrect in some way, or don't
quite work, or don't tell you quite enough, but do help all the same.
It's rather like trying to get information out of someone who doesn't
want to tell you.

Bye,

LeeE

--