Re: Upgrade from 2.0.36 to 2.2

You don't say whether you're on a Macintosh, or another 68k system.
If on a Mac...

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Chiara Braghin wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my system from 2.0.36 to 2.2, but I am not sure
> It seems to me that all I have to do is
> get the "modules-2.2.6-19990629.tar.gz" file
> and untar it from the root directory

Okay so far...

> and then get the "vmlinux-2.2.6-19990629cvs.gz",
> unzip it into /boot directory
> and make /vmlinuz file link to it.

No, you need the kernel on the MacOS side.  Your options...

 * Assuming you used the standard Debian install, replace the
   file "LINUX" in the "debian" folder with this file; or

 * Hold down the command key (so it doesn't auto-boot) while
   opening the "Penguin Prefs" file, then open the settings,
   point at the new kernel location, and save (as default,
   if you start up by opening the Penguin app directly,
   rather than via the "Penguin Prefs" file).

Just so you know, there is another list devoted exclusively to
Linux on 68k Macs.  The site is at http://mac.linux-m68k.org/
The list is "linux-mac68k", and you can find archives at (among
other places) http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-mac68k/info.html
That list tends to get more traffic than the debian-68k list.