Re: KDE .debs?

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Frank Petzold wrote:
> steigies@physik.uni-kiel.de writes:
> > Try using qt from slink. The qt which is currently in potato is foobar.
> > You can install the qt slink packages on a potato system, works fine for me.
>
> The qt in slink is 1.33, you need >=1.42 for compiling kde.
                           ^^^ _I_ don´t need qt ;-)
Sorry, if you want to compile kde and you need a newer qt, I guess you´ll
first have to fix qt yourself. Don´t use the potato debs, just grab the source
and start playing with it. I tried to fix it when I found out that all my qt
binaries were not working anymore. Unfortunately I dont have a clue why it
doesnt work anymore, there is nothing suspicious when build qt, only when
you test the examples or some other binaries which use qt you get this
strange problem.
As I am not using qt and KDE and I am busy with other things, I will not
look into this during the following months. If I were you, I´d try to
get and compile the 1.33 source and see if that works. Then try with a newer
source. If that doesnt work anymore, diff the source and look at what has
changed. A computer scientist might use a different approach with strace and
gdb, though. Ask the maintainer and the upstream authors for help. And when
you found and fixed the problem, send the patches upstream, to the
maintainer or to me and we´ll get a new package for potato.

Good luck,
Christian.