DSELECT problems again - help

This is about the third time I've had this problem (and I've posted
requests for help too); I've got to believe that someone out there knows
how to deal with it. During installation of some packages, the machine
will hang; the only way out is to reboot (nothing else responds--not
control-c, no logging in on the other consoles, nothing). The machine
boots up and works fine, so long as I do not try to install or remove
any software, using dselect, dpkg or apt. If I try, it hangs again.
There must be a file which is corrupted; but what? How can I regain the
ability to install/remove software without reinstalling altogether
(which is what I have done twice)?  I am running Debian 2.1.