Re: HD probs

I have "played" with several instances of various combinations of drives on
Amiga A3000's under both AmigaOS and Linux.

There were some problems (related to the SCSI-II standard) with AmigaOS scsi
(in the ROM code I believe).  The specific problem was that during AutoConfig
the code failed to properly allocate buffers.  Data from drives providing
longer SCSI-II inquiry response would be accepted but then if a SCSI-I drive
was queried the trailing (stale) data from the previous response was included.

Additionally, there probably are more drives that DO NOT correctly follow the
SCSI specification than there are those that DO!  In particular there are (or
at least were) a great many drives that claimed to support "disconnect/
reconnect" but do not.

A few years ago the problems with drives were particularly noticable on Amigas
because the Amiga SCSI controller was far and away the fastest SCSI controller
on "PC" type machines.  Indeed, for awhile MaxTor required that all of their
drive controllers/firmware test satisfactorily on an Amiga 3000 as a routine
QA test.

I don't have any of the Amiga stuff here right now but, I would start with
setting reselection off under AmigaOS (and rebooting of course) since
possibly your problem is "setup" during AutoConfig and only manifests itself
when Linux begins "hammering" on your drive.  Admittedly I don't know anything
about how the Linux SCSI code is set up so this may not make any difference.

I think that there is a way to disable synchronous transfer by passing
parameters to the kernel during boot (that then are passed to the SCSI code).