Re: fetchmail/MTA (was Re: Some problems...)

On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 09:30:42AM -0500, Bill Leach wrote:

> Can you send email to yourself on your machine?
> Have you tried telnetting to port 25 on your machine an manually doing
> an smtp transfer?

In my experience with new users, it's much easier to avoid the whole
MTA business and spit the downloaded messages straight to procmail or
deliver.

>From the fetchmail man page, line 1599 (at least on my slink boxes):

  poll mail.provider.net with proto pop3:
    user jsmith there has password "u can't krak this"
    is jws here and wants mda "/bin/mail"

*Much* easier to spit the messages to procmail or deliver than to
screw around with setting up smtp on a machine with a transient net
connection and normally a dynamic IP.

--
Mike Renfro  / Instructor, Basic Engineering Program
931 372-3601 / renfro@tntech.edu