new install fails on reboot

I finally managed to acquire a scsi drive for linux on this amiga, a
Quantum6.4SE Fireball.

Since the drive removed had my first attempt to install 2.1 on it, I had
to re-install from scratch.

I partitioned the drive, using rdprepx, to a base 'LNX' partition of about
6.25 gigs, and a 'SWP' of the remaining 150 megs.

The install went along with no errors other than some that said there
weren't any docs available, all from copies of the disks from Christian
that I got last march, the copies being required becuase my old cdrom
couldn't read those dark green disks Christian used, so we made new gold
ones in an HP writer.

Anyway, on a reboot attempt, it gets to the fsck stage, and goes into a
loop that hangs after 15 minutes or so, of reporting that one of two
block numbers already has its bit cleared, with that pair of numbers
being either 776200, or 834960 (IIRC, I didn't write them down, sorry).

Does the m68k version of e2fsck have a maximum disk or partition size
limitation?  The controller is an A2091, with an 08 revision 33c93 on
it.

Since the m68k version doesn't seem to indicate it can run from multiple
partitions, I have not tried to set up a second, smaller, /boot
partition, and wouldn't know how to make it recognizable since it
apparently goes by the DosType, and not the partition name.  The
installer didn't give me any choices.  I'd like to make a 200 meg /boot
as sdb1, put / on sdb2 sized at 2 gigs, and the rest as a 4 gig sdb3
called /usr.

Anyone have any ideas?  Preferably something a little faster than the
nearly 24 hours install this was, it took it about 12 hours just to
verify that size of drive, and if there were any errors, I slept thru
them.  ;-)

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net