Re: [Updated GNOME for slink]

> Is it worth making my 68040/Potato available?

Yes and no :-) Most of the time during potato, kullervo (buildd #1)
was really sufficient to keep m68k up to date. It always still had
some idle time. But currently, before the freeze, the number of
Needs-Build packages constantly increases... :-) So a second buildd
for unstable could help, yes. But I don't think it will be always
needed. (Also, Christian helps if there is too much work.) But then we
could turn off buildd there and use the machine for other stuff, like
the GNOME build now.

> The disadvantages are that it's unaccelerated (A4000/040@25MHz) and
> is only on a permanent modem link.

The speed isn't that important. kullervo should be one of the fastest
m68k machines, and we can't expect that all machines are that fast :-)
A '040 is ok (in ancient times, we built everything on a '030 :-)

On the other hand, cookie-monster (buildd #2) often had problems with
the net connection (permanant modem line, too). Most of its time was
wasted with aborted source downloads :-( This became better with use
of lftp (instead Perl-builtin FTP) and reduce of work load there.

> But a) I work for an ISP which has an official Debian mirror and can
> put the machine next to it in their main machine room

This would be ideal (if the machine is on the local net there then).

The net accesses besides source downloads are occiasional ssh
connenctions to the wanna-build database and uploads (is there an
upload queue down under there?)

> b) I'm willing to purchase an accelerator to help, but not at the
> ridiculous market prices, if someone can provide one at a more
> decent price or can point in the right direction I will buy it.

I don't know much about Amiga hardware, so I can't give you hints
there. Others? And, BTW, if really money should be the problem, Debian
isn't that poor :-)

Ok, what steps would we need to set up a buildd #3?

 - Give it a .debian.org name (no problem)

 - Set up buildd (I'll do that)

 - buildd needs sudo priviledges (fakeroot has problems for mass
   builds, and also packages need to be installed/updated)

 - Disk space should be somewhat sufficient. 400...500M for /usr
   (installing packages) and a build partition with > 500M would be
   fine. (A separate build partition protects the other filesystem to
   fill up...)

Roman