Newbie installation prob: Screen zonky

AGA Amiga, no gfx card, 68060, Blizzard 1260 with SCSI kit, IDEfix 4-way
adapter, Philips CM8833 monitor. Downloaded amiga/amigainstall.lha and
common/base2_1.tgz from ftp.debian.org today.

Unarchived the lha to a HD partition, put the tgz into the debian
directory, created two new partitions (one for files, one for swap). I
click on the 'StartInstall' icon, the console window comes up, gives
the debugging information. I hit enter, gives some more debug info,
then after it's done, it waits for enter again. I press enter, screen
goes gray for a moment, then it gives a black and white screen, but the
screen is all zonky and spins around with no recognizable graphics or
text to be seen.

Is it possible that this is because my monitor can't display whatever
screenmode Linux requires? If so, is it possible to change whatever
screenmode Linux boots into?

Or is my problem due to something else? I've checked the mailing list
archives, and read the FAQs I could find, but if this has been
addressed, I must have missed it.