Re: Keyboard on X Windows and screen resolution problems.

Hello again Roberto,

On 13-Aug-99, you wrote:

R> Hi list,
R> I recently installed X Windows on my Amiga 1200. Everything is fine
R> but I can't use my keyboard correctly: I can't delete, and I have to
R> character. I tried to configure the keyboard protocol on the
R> /etc/X11/XF86Config file, but I didn't found a correct configuration.
R> Can you please suggest me, an exactly keyboard protocol configuration
R> for the XF86Config file (amiga 1200 keyboard)? I tried the one
R> suggested me by Paul Bizannes, and here it is:
R>
R> XkbDisable
R> XkbRules   "xfree86"
R> XkbModel   "pc102"
R> XkbLayout   "us"
R> XkbVariant   ""
R> XkbOptions   ""
R> XkbKeymap   "xfree86(us)"
R>
R> but it doesn't work, and there is always the same problem!
R>
R> I have another question: it is possible to change screen resolution
R> on X windows!? I tried to use the ctrl+alt+keypad + or - but it
R> doesn't work! And do you know how to resolve the problem whit windows
R> which are too large!? I don't why some programs use large windows,
R> and I tried to configure the -geometry parameter but it doesn't work!
R> Can you please tell more about, thank you for your collaboration,
R> Roberto.

I think can help with the BackSpace key.  Look at the file
/etc/X11/Xmodmap - at the end of the file, on my system, there was an
entry for Amigas that was commented-out.  The line reads:-

keycode 73 = BackSpace

I removed the comment and it worked.  This looks like it may work for
other key mappings, if you know the key values and names, but I haven't
tried it yet.  I will do soon though, as I need to swap a couple of
other keys.  I didn't change any of the keyboard entries in
/etc/X11/XF86Config and left it with the defaults.

I can't help you with the other problem - I haven't tried it yet - I'm
still trying to disable the virtual desktop, so I don't keep having to
'chase' windows all over the place :-/

Regards,

LeeE
--