Re: Adding Module

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> >Ethernet drivers are not built as modules. Please post the kernel output
> >from the Nubus probe section. Try 'ifconfig eth0' to see if the kernel
> >really found a supported card (the Nubus probe output should also give a
> >clue there).
>
> here's what ifconfig eth0 said:
>
> eth0    Link encap: Ethernet  HWaddr OO:00:94:10:70:60
>         inet addr:0.0.0.0  Bcast:0.0.0.0   Mask:0.0.0.0
>         BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>         Collisions:0
>         Interrupt:9 Memory:f90d0000-f90d4000
>
> I assume that the HWaddr says it does have a hardware address, and that all
> (or) the zero's will change once I actually enter the gateway/subnet info.

The fact that you get this kind of output means there's a driver for it.

> Since I didn't enter the Network info at install- I assume I have to do it
> by hand, file by file? I did enter my IP Address and Domain name into
> /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname - where do I enter the rest? I don't just want
> to re-install and enter, I kind of want to know where it's at for future
> reference.

/etc/init.d/network is the script to edit. Add a line like

to set the interface address etc, and another line

/sbin/route add default eth0

to set the default route in 2.0 kernels. Instead of setting an interface
route you might need to specify a default gateway. The ifconfig and route
man pages are suggested reading in case of trouble. And the ususal 'make
sure the "don't disable VBL interrupt" booter option is _off_' mantra
applies.