Re: Macintosh IIvx (Performa 600)

guido.dampf@syseca.de wrote:

> I did nothing - and that's the main-problem, because the time until the
> system is completely up is to long - keyboard and screen die but the screen
> can be awaked again by NMI !
>
> Guido

Hi.
Check the  "Hardware Info" in Penguin -- if it says that your adb is IIsi-style,
then what you're suffering from is buggy IIsi-style adb.  The white screen is
actually the screen blanker; kernel 2.0.36 has problems with the Color LookUp
Table on 68030-based Macs. So what is happening is that the adb dies for some
reason, and the screen blanker engages, having recieved no keyboard input for a
while. And then you can't disengage it, because the keyboard is dead. IIRC, this
happened to me while I was in the "Initialize a Linux partition" step installing
on my IIsi.

A "voodoo" approach I tried was switching to another VC, and typing on it -- I
think I just started up ae and typed random thoughts into a buffer until the
install was done. That seemed to keep the adb from dying, but the stars may have
just been in the right alignment.  At least I felt like I was doing something.
Your mileage may vary, of course.

Once you get the system up & running, I have found that I lose the keyboard &
mouse very quickly if I use xdm for logins. Using startx doesn't cause the same
problem; twm & fvwm2 work OK, but I lose keyboard and/or mouse quickly with
fvwm95.

Of course, if the IIvx/Performa 600 doesn't use IIsi-style adb, I've just wasted
a lot of your time. At any rate, you'll probably want to monitor the
linux-mac68k mailing list (check http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/ for archive &
subscription info) for recent advances being made on these & many other problems
with the Mac port.

Good Luck!

Frank Garcia
fgarcia@overland.net