Re: serial port question

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Thomas Adams wrote:

> > If you have a PPP link to your internet provider, you can use pon and poff
> > to hook your machine up to the net.  Read PPP-HOWTO (and anything else
> > that ends in HOWTO that catches your fancy, like Serial-HOWTO)
>
> Whereas this does not work. While I can now use minicom, PPP dialers still
> don't work. Is it possible to simulate what minicom did with the serial port
> when toggling the port speed? I already tried using minicom and quitting it,
> but regardless if I reset the modem or not when quitting the program PPP
> dialers still don't get an answer from the modem.

pppd (the thing that actually does the PPP) is probably not looking in the
right spot for your modem.  There are a few setup files that need to be
configured for PPP to work.  One is /etc/ppp/peers/provider, another is
/etc/ppp/options.  There might be more; configure these two files and see
if it works.  There is documentation within the files, most of it is
self-explanatory.

You may also have to set up /etc/chatscripts/provider - this is the script
that actually dials the modem and types in your password.

man chat and man pppd may be helpful.