Mac Install Problems with Slink

Hiya!

I'm new to the list, so I hope I'm not committing a faux pas with this
posting.  I've checked the FAQ's and mailing list archives, and no dice.
I'm by no means a Linux expert, but I'm not a complete novice, either.

I've installed Slink on a Macintosh Quadra 610 and I can't get PPP to
load.  I've run pppconfig with no problems.  When I run pon, I'm told
that the kernel does not have ppp compiled in, but as far as I can tell,
ppp is a dynamically loading kernel module.

Also, /etc/modutils/path does not seem to specify a real path in
/lib/modules.  /lib/modules contains a directory called 2.0.33pl1, but
running uname -r (like in /etc/modutils/path) returns 2.0.36.

And I thought Slink was a 2.1 build...

I've tried renaming /lib/modules/2.0.33pl1 to /lib/modules/2.0.36 and
running modconfig (which then at least recognizes that the modules
exist), but it says PPP is already installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I'd be glad to write up a
HowTO on this once I get it solved.  I don't see how a complete novice
could get installed and online at this point unless I'm experiencing
something rare.

Also, some documentation on using mac-fdisk to create a swap partition
would probably be a good thing.  There should be some mention of possible
partition types using the 'C' command.  I never did figure it out, and
finally had to find an old copy of Apple HD Setup (which is becoming
difficult to find for us MacOS 8.x users).  Incidentally, I couldn't get
DiskTool or Hard Disk Toolkit to create a swap partition either.

Thanks in advance!

jason