Re: Installing packages

Malcolm Walker wrote:
> > Again, the proper solution is to use a 2.0 kernel (or to upgrade to
> > Debian 2.1).
> Why is this?  Does the 2.0 kernel do a multipass thru the .deb archive
> before it bails out?  Or is it Beyond My Comprehension (tm)?

2.0 kernels and 2.1 kernels differ in the way the chown syscall operates
on symbolic links. To get the correct behavior, you need to use the
syscall with 2.1 kernels. The hamm libc isn't aware of lchown. Read the
2.1 kernel 'changes' documents for more details. Fixed in libc6
and later, and dpkg and later (slink).