deselect and perl error

I have gotten my Quadra 700 to boot, and am in the process of installing
packages from /hamm/main/binary-m68k/ using deselect. It stops right after
I start the install and complains about not being able to find the right
version of Perl. it does not tell me which version it needs.. Would Perl be
elsewhere than in the ../main/binary-m68k/ ? I only have that directory..
(all 240+ MB).

I am using 2.0 kernel, and installing most packages with dpkg works.

Thanks in advance..

dAVE