Re: NEWS for debian-boot

On Jan 17, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > I suppose amigainstall.lha and atariinstall.lzh (and whatever the Mac
> > stuff is) could be pre-unpacked on Disc 1.  This would allow a
> > no-disk-except-CD-ROM install... I think.  I'll have to double-check
> > the installation guides though.
>
> The Mac stuff would need to be on a HFS CD 'partition' (or you'd have
> to invoke some trick to feed both data and resource fork to MacOS off
> the ISO fs.). I've never seen any ISO CD on a Mac so I can't tell for
> sure. You can send me a CD with the install.sit unpacked on it if you
> manage to unpack it with macutils. Otherwise, I'll upload it to master
> in MacBinary format and the user will need to unpack it on the MacOS
> disk partition.

Well, the CD image will be a HFS/ISO hybrid, so presumably the Mac
magic (resource fork, finder info) can be in the HFS portion.  But
I'll have to read through the mkhybrid documentation... a quick
perusal (meaning I typed 'man mkhybrid') shows that if I manage to
unpack install.sit with macutils, mkhybrid should be able to handle
the things if I keep them in MacBinary format (which is what macunpack
will do with them).

> rawwrite.ttp for dumping the floppy images on Atari (was in bo, maybe
> made it into hamm ??)

OK.  I think that was in disks-m68k/current/atari in hamm.  Should be
easy enough to track down...

> gzip would be nice to have; tar probably isn't required. I'm pretty sure
> distributing StuffIt, BinHex and the like with the CD won't be allowed by
> these tools' copyright. Mac users should already have them, or get them
> from Apple's support site.

gzip for the Amiga is at tools/amiga/gzip-1.1.2.lha at Erlangen;
anyone got a pointer to an Atari TOS version?  I'll assume MacFolk can
unpack what they need to (though with the HFS support we should be
able to provide the most important stuff already unpacked).

> Covered in the install guide but we should probably add it to the 'official'
> docs as well.

I thought the install guide was the 'official' (and only) docs :-)

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence       |                My home page:                |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>  |      http://www.clark.net/pub/lawrencc/     |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.   |            Watch Babylon 5 on TNT           |
|  University of Mississippi  |   <*> http://tnt.turner.com/babylon5/ <*>   |