Re: installing xfree86

Althaler und Oblasser wrote:

> >That's easy to fix, and a fix has been posted to this list and the newsgroup
> >numerous times. In short, you need to create /dev/adbmouse (char device,
> >major 10, minor 10) and symlink it to /dev/mouse.
>
> so I set up the mouse and gpm_1.13-5.deb gave me the chance to test it - it
> works. a small square follows my mousemovements.

Proves the mouse driver works :-)

> using the vmlinux-2.0.33pl1-981227.gz kernel I see a gray screen and an x
> in the middle of it, but after 5 seconds the scren disappears and i am back
> in the shell.

Still the error message about the mouse?

> can someone using a quadra 605 and a VGA monitor using 640x480 sent me a
> XF86Config file?

The X config file doesn't need to be changed; the X server reads all
required
information out of the framebuffer device. Modes unsupported by the kernel
will be unsupported by X (unless you've written some code in the X server to
do mode switching).

> how can i save the shell output?

xinit > x.err or xinit >& x.err ?