RE: 68k mail list

Hi,

>OK, my search for Debian on my old Mac continues.  I got rid of the hang by
>installing an FPU in my IIsi, but now the keyboard doesn't work.  As a long
>time BMUG member, I was lucky that someone at the weekly meeting happened
>to have an FPU I could purchase cheap.  It booted successfully yesterday
>with the FPU at the meeting.

Lucky guy ...

>My system is a Mac IIsi, 17 MB RAM, 40 MB internal hard disk, 240 MB
>external hard disk, color monitor, extended keyboard.  I am booting from a
>system on the internal 40 MB drive.  I have a partition on the 240 drive
>for the base2_0.tgz.  I now am able to get to the first Debian install
>screen, but there it says to use Up/Down to select either color or
>monochrome, and I am unable to do so.  I know my mouse and keyboard are
>functional under MacOS.  During the boot sequence, the keyboard says it
>timed out, then says it's initialized OK, and turns on the LEDs just fine.

:-) It should turn the LEDs off again. That's solved; there was a race condition
between polling the ADB interrupt handler and entering it via interrupt.
One of Alan Cox' gread debug hacks that had survived and never bit me...

>No key I type has any effect on the first screen.  So I am stuck here for
>right now.

Use the latest kernel (2.0)  from the Mac FTP site in the kernels/testing
directory.

>>There's a short readme together with the Mac install disk image, but you sure
>>read it already ... should explain more or less what I've just repeated, for
>>the umpteenth time.
>
>Sorry for the vague initial post, Michael.  I have read all the
>documentation I can find.  I have the resc1440.bin from the

Lack of documentation (or rather its being scattered over multiple mailing list
archives etc.) is a problem here. Also, the Mac ML archive isn't searchable
(makes for a useful archive) and the web site got last updated in February.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but the whole Mac project has lost a lot of steam
lately.