RE: Install procedure?

Hi,

>Is there an install procedure documented anywhere for folks who can't use the
>install floppies?  I just got a kernel booting on my Mac SE/30, but it doesn't
>have a working floppy driver.

There's documentation for the Atari install, it's focused on floppy installation
but describes the basics right if you substitute 'floppy image file residing on
disk' for floppy.

The procedure for machines without a working floppy driver is the same as for
the Amiga: put all the requierd files for installation into the same directory
(booter, kernel, ramdisk, resc1440.bin and drv1440.bin floppy images, base2_0.tgz,
that should be it). The ramdisk for use with base2_0.tgz is at ftp.uni-erlangen.de
in the Debian-support subdirectory, it has both fixes for the pre2.0 install and
Mac support - name should be root2_0.bin.<date>.

Use base2_0.tgz, base1_3.tgz might get you into problems. I'm assuming you're
aware of the unstable status of Debian/68k.

You can use the Atari resc1440.bin / drv1440.bin just to satisfy the install
procedure. Mac kernels (at least the ones I release) aren't modularized yet,
and no modules will be loaded in that case anyway.

Boot the ramdisk and work through the menu. Chose 'harddisk filesystem' as
installation medium.

>Can anyone else using a Mac without a working floppy driver describe how they
>got things going?

There is no working floppy driver for Mac. Everybody will have to use the procedure
outlined above.

>I've managed it on a DEC Alpha (I've got a Multia running Debian Alpha), so if
>there's no documented procedure, I can try to puzzle one out myself.  If I do,
>would it be useful to other folks?

Try the installation and document problems you encountered and report them here.
One problem you will run into when using a Mac HFS volume as medium for the
binary-m68k archive is the representation of HFS resource fork etc. under Linux.
Won't affect the base system install, just bulk installation of later packages
with dselect. I had to run dpkg -iGROEB (or whatever the exact options were)
on each of the binary-m68k subdirs manually).

I've heard that it's required to first install perl manually before using dselect,
but that might be a quirk of the specific installation (Afterburner 040, a rare
example of 'individualistic' hardware).

>debian-68k/footer.txt
>debian-68k/tmp.request

Waste of perfectly good electrons ...