Re: CD.

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> >> A Debian mirror (of unstable) and a new install program does constitute
> >> a distribution that merits a new name? Interesting ... do you include source?
> >
> >The Distribution will contain an complete Debian system (as far as it
> >exists for m68k). What makes it a new distribution is that its working
> >even for newbies. Unfortunally Debian being unstable and incomplete
>
> What makes it 'working even for newbies' if it's 'containing a complete
> Debian system' (or 'based on Debian/68k', to quote one of your previous
> posts)? By which you -acidentially or not- imply the system your 'distribution'
> is based on isn't 'working for newbies', BTW. I don't quite get the
> logic of the argument. And I don't see the problem for newbies to copy
> a bunch of files to disk, start the bootstrap and walk through the options
> of the install ramdisk. In all cases, trouble began later, if any.
> So what's the difference that makes the same Debian packages work for newbies
> (in your case) that didn't before (supposedly)? Just trying to understand
> the subtle differences here ..

The installation routine as present for Debian doesn't work on m68k
(Amiga). There are no proper boot disks so te installation of the
kernel and modules fails. Also only one Network device is suported and
that only during installtation.

Eagle will support up to 4 (at the moment) network devices and one is
able to reconfigure them any time one wants with the very same script.

Apart from that the Debian installation routine is quite allright, but
as you said troubles come later. Many things that I saw that broke the
system lately where problems with dselect or dpkg and not by the package
files itself.

> And the question whether source is included was a serious one ...

Do you mean source for the debian package? There will (as far as I
know) be a source CD of Debian awaylable. Of cause the Sources wont
fit onto the CD with the binaries. If you mean the sources for the
installation routines and configure routines they will be copyright by
Eagle and will come under some sort of GPL or Berkley
licens. Depending on that licens the source will be available or
not. (also depending on the parts of sources we used during developement).

> >can't be used directly. Also, what makes it a Distribution is the
> >support.

> Do tell ... I hope the 'support' will be present on the newsgroup, as that's
> the first point of contact for many newbies.

Support will mainly be handled via email or snailmail. Questions on
News will also be answered, but of cause not all newsgroups can be
read.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn