Configuring Serial Ports on Mac 475

I'm running 2.0.33 on a Mac 475, and I can't get the serial ports to
respond.

I've run PPPconfig & Magicfilter.  Setserial implies ttyS0 & S1 are "there",
but any attempt to send something to either port fails.  Minicom fails to
dial the modem, and after LPR'ing a file, LPQ says the printer is inactive.

I have tried echoing Text directly to the devices, but this also results in
no response.  Are there modules or daemons I have to load/run before
accessing the serial ports?

Thanks.

<<application/ms-tnef>>