Re: Asante ethernet card

Hi,

> >The first step should be to modify the Nubus code and try to probe the
> >card as a Nubus card even though it's PDS. If that works, the existing
> >ethernet driver will pick up the card and look for the 8390 chip. If that
> >fails (I'm almost sure it will), either there is no such chip (your card
> Michael,
>
>     I do have two Mac's with these type of cards.  And, you are correct
> in that they do "appear" as NuBus cards (they are phantom slots, and
> mapped into memory space as tho' they were true NuBus cards, as far as
> I understand it).  THis is the way in which these cards are supported

That's what I understood from the developers notes. But I'm a bit puzzled
on the interrupt side. Nubus devices interrupt by sharing one VIA2 interrupt
and raising a bit in one of the VIA bidirectional ports. PDS devices see the
main bus directly and can use any interrupt level.

> in NetBSD.  With some guidance here, I could help this along perhaps,
> since I do have two machines with this type of card installed.

Ok, let's try that. From what I read in the source code, the Nubus code
should probe for Nubus devices on all Macs, so that step seems to be done.
The kernel should print a line 'Probing for Nubus devices ...', are there
any Nubus devices reported following that line? That should sort out
question #1. Did you already look at the BSD source on that issue?

CC: to linux-mac68k ... that list is more appropriate than debian-68k.