X control panel + afterstep

  Ok, here it goes...

  I've installed X (I guess correctly) but when I start, there's no way
to get the control panel
I've typed xcontrol from a shell while in X but it gives me nothing.
Actually I've installed the current packages:
xbase, xcontrib, xext, xfnt*, xlib, xpm, xserver, afterstep and
satisfied all dependencies (I don't remember which were those
dependencies though)
Did I forget any package? (PS:those packages are .deb packages)
  Then I've tried to compile my own src code but each time I did
./configure (logged as a root), it told me that I wasn't authorised to
do that (???).
  Ok, finally...I've tried to install afterstep. But when I run it, it
tells me that he needs adobe fonts. But i don't know where to find it :(

      Tks in advance!
        msd