Re: Install on 4MB Atari TT

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> * It doesn't seem to help; instead of checking the amount of free RAM, init
>   declares 'this is a low memory system' and refuses to work. I've tried
>   different things, but no luck. /etc/swapdevice is present and points to
>   a swapfile, the roof fs is mounted rw, so I'm sure it would work.
>   (Booting the base system leaves me with 700 k free, not counting buffers
>   and swap)
>   Moral: hardcoded limits are a Bad Thing.

Read the source.

In this case init looks for /etc/swappartition, calls swapon and
continues.

It only refuses work when /etc/swappartition does not exist. And
/etc/swappartition is created by the lowmem install process, which is
explained in install.html. And when init refuses to do the install it
tells you it tells you "Read the instructions in the install.html
file." Everything is there. Everything but the lowmem image.

Right now my problem is that I don't know a way to create Atari-like
partitions, and I didn't find an fdisk on the 1.4MB root or the Debian
root. (Currently I have DOS partitions on the disk, and that's fine
for the kernel, but dinstall uses internal partition table reading
code that seems to require Atari-style partitioning.)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
http://www.sax.de/~sr1/