Re: Install on 4MB Atari TT

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> >From: Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de>
>
> The Debian boot-floppies guy??

Yep ...

> >I couldn't find a lowmem.bin for m68k.
>
> Frank didn't do a lowmem.bin. What exactly is the difference to the regular
> root.bin?

It contains a small root fs that only offers fdisk, swap setup and
copying (and uncompressing) the root.bin fs image to harddisk.  After
this you have to run the regular rescue and use this hard disk
partition's fs as root fs.

> Anyway: your main problem is that the ramdisk image doesn't fit on a
> floppy.

After above procedure the root fs will be on harddisk, so it can be
larger than a floppy. That's no serious problem nowadays.

> If you have a partiton to spare: just dump the root.bin image to a disk
> partition, should be faster than using a floppy.

That's what I did ...

> >Thats why I tried to do everything that the lowmem would do by hand. I
> >created the partitions.
> >
> >But I couldn't create /etc/swappartition, because the content of
>
> What's /etc/swappartition?

It is created by above lowmem install. When the regular rescue disk's
boot image detects that you have less then 3500 kBytes free memory it
requires /etc/swappartition, takes its content as the name of the
to-be-used swap partition and enables this swap partition very early.

Because I don't have a runnung m68k a machine I unpacked on i386 (by
swapping the SCSI disk between the computers), and in order to make
the rescue system on atari run with low memory I have to create
/etc/swappartition ...

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>