Re: Eagle Linux (Was: Mac Quadra (fwd))

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have read the above web page, I believe. I haven't checked for changes
> though. But I was refering to the e-mail circulated to various m68k kernel
> hackers, which I think was intended as press release or basis for ads.

Its contens wasn't changed since the release, so it has allways been
in that form.

> >have an Atari to develope on and some users owning macs, which can
> >test for us, we can actually claim that it will run nicely on such
> >platforms. With the comming update and the rewriting of the webpages
> >that will be stated.
>
> Reiterating my earlier request: please _don't_ state anywhere that 'Mac is
> supported'. The Mac port is to be considered alpha, and we're happy if

We won't, because we can't. There will be a link to the Mac Linux
pages for people having a Mac.

> Typos? Well, I've seen a lot blamed on typos, that figures. Eagle might only
> be the distributor, but that's another distinction not easily apparent to
> the user. For a potential customer, the claims Eagle made are what counts,
> and that's what determines their expectations. Bad show, and I hope you
> made sure that sort of thing doesn't happen again with your upgrade.
> But that's your business, as far as it doesn't reflect badly on the m68k
> community and raises utopic expectations. Thanks for your cooperation.

We made sure it won't happen again, don't worry.

> >Its true that its not stated clearly on the web Page, but its stated
> >in the handbook. Also the Debian-m68k distribution is left intact and
> >complete on the CD.
>
> Again, the web page is the only information potental customers have to judge
> your product, and the way it was created. It might make sense to sell Eagle as
> independent product from a marketing position (taking all credit for yourself)
> but it sure doesn't reflect the real proportions of your contribution.
>
> The Debian distribution is left intact on the CD? Which one? Packages from
> the Debian FTP servers, or your build?

Its a clean mirror from the ftp directories. Packages compiled by us
are in a locale directory in that tree where dselect expects a local
directory, thats the only change.

> >> the Debian developers at that time. But I hadn't expected any
> >> better, and it's probably better if users don't view your product as
> >> Debian distribution (my private view, not speaking for Debian,
> >> solely based on the fact that I can't easily check what's in your
> >> distribution etc.).
> >
> >You can check easily, just ask. Mails to Eagle concerning Linux will
> >be redirected to us.
>
> Nah, it will be the other way round: Questions about Linux regarding Eagle
> will be redirected to Eagle. I can speculate about Debian related problems,

What I meant is that mails to Eagle will be forwarded to Dragon. Eagle
is only the distributor, so they are not doing the Linux mails.

> because I have easy access to the packages and documentation (partly installed
> on my computer at home). You don't seriously believe that I'd send e-mail
> to Eagle about what exactly is on their CD, to be able to help Eagle users?

No, just send any users back to us, where they should aks anyway.

> I've never said I don't want bug reports. Helpful bug reports are welcome.
> 'Package x doesn't compile, log at 11' isn't a bug report, though. 'Package
> x doesn't compile, need to include xy and apply the following diff' is a
> very nice bug report. 'xy crashes with signal z, strace/gdb shows it's in
> routine a' is another nice bug report. You managed to compile the packages
> you want to report bugs about, so just post a diff with the bugfix.

I included the part of the log that showed the error. The ftp was for
the complete log in case I missed something. I don't want to include 2
MB of logfiles for something like xfree.

> There has been considerable controversy in the past about solutions you
> proposed for suspected bugs, that's true. As far as I can recall, there have
> been reasons for people to reject your opinion about these bugs.

Yes, thats true, but also some ideas where taken real well. I think
the ratio between the two is good enough to continue.
Not everything one thinks good will be though good by others and the
more people you have the louder will be the cries against it.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn