Re: Mac Install Problems

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Right, but you need to install kernel and modules just to get the install
> process satisfied. Don't ask me why this is, I haven't written dinstall.

O.K. I finally got things installed and working (more or less). I even went
back and installed the kernel image and modules and that part of the
installation went fine.

> >HFS partition. Also, there is only one big base2_0.tgz in the directory,
> >which I've been trying to extract onto my Linux partition:  I've bypassed
> >"Install Operating System Kernel and Modules", but the installation chokes
> >on "Install the Base System" trying to extract base2_0.tgz from my HFS
> >partition.  (It gives the message "unexpected end of file".)
>
> That's new - are you sure you entered the right thing at the 'path to archive'
> prompt? Use 'choose among list of archive files', HFS loves to produce junk
> files with the same name as the data file, and tar sure chokes on that.

This was my fault (more or less).  HFS support in the kernel image I was
using (vmlinux-980506.ELF) was broken: the files showed up when you listed
the directory, but everything had size zero.  I copied the kernel image off
of the resc1440-mac.bin disk, fed it to Penguin, and I was able to extract
the tar image during the installation.

My main task now is to get the ethernet card working . . . The first trouble
seems to be with modules:  The kernel (which I took from resc1440-mac.bin)
is 2.0.29, but the modules (which I took from amiga/drv1440.bin) are for a
2.0.33 kernel (and things fail on boot-up with the warning "no modules
present for this kernel").  And I'm not even sure if the driver I need is a
module in this disk.  Any recommendations?  Is there a recommended kernel
with the appropriate ethernet drivers compiled in?  (I have a IIci with the
Apple ethernet card.)

On a related note, the following shows up during boot-up:

Scanning nubus slots:
nubus: rewind of 32748
board resource not found

Does this mean anything important?

Thanks for any information.

Andrew Leahy
aleahy@knox.edu

P.S. Is there any way to get change this ugly pink on white screen?