Re: Anybody working on xfree 3.3.2??

Michael Schmitz <SCHMITZ@LCBVAX.CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU> writes:

> > > What problems in other packages does egcs fix?
> >
> > groff and sp I suspect.  troff is hosed by a bug in the
> > optimization of gcc <= 2.7.2.3 and nsgmls seems to be too (though
> > it's such a huge mess of C++, I never confirmed that theory).
>
> troff never worked?? Or did someone introduce a feature that
> confuses gcc 2.7.2.3?

For the longest time (certainly as long as I've been building stuff
for m68k) troff has been broken in that it would spinlock in obscure
cases, notably while building elm and nethack or formatting some man
pages (super's IIRC).  I tracked it down to gcc misoptimizing code so
that the return value from a function got lost.  As a result, the last
couple of versions of groff have been compiled without optimization on
m68k.  I reported it to Andreas and he said he couldn't reproduce the
problem (which is why I think egcs/2.8.1 will fix it).

nsgmls was totally hosed, it would do nothing but print a `C' and
exit, causing no ends of fun for any SGML based documentation.

> I'm still wondering why egcs is used, not gcc 2.8. Whatever.

Well at the time Galen made the choice 2.8* didn't exist and even when
it did certainly 2.8 suffered from some pretty bad problems (though
2.8.1 is meant to be a _lot_ better), also there is a lot of
`cool'-factor behind egcs because it follows the much vaunted bazaar
method as opposed to the Evil/RMS-style (TM) cathedral method of
development, which may have, IMHO, unduly influenced people's lobbying
for egcs.

--
James