Re: Got a base system running

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Frank Neumann wrote:

> Adapting the script to create the root disk (rootdisk.sh) is harder; the
> largest problem is that it makes heavy use of fdisk for determining
> swap, Linux native and other partitions, where we don't yet have an fdisk
								      ^^^^^
I'm working on this...It'll be similar to the PC version.

> - syslogd doesn't yet want to work (1.3-8). It starts, but as soon as it
>   wants to write something into a file, it exits. I'll have to check older
>   buglogs for this one..

Either make sure you have a domainname set or apply the diff in critter
complaint #3526.

> Well, overall - things look pretty promising. Ok, one thing annoyed me a bit:
> dselect is pretty slow when you go through the list of packages. I suppose
> this is not as bad on fast 486 or Pentium machines, but as far as I'm
> concerned, I'll stick with dpkg for now..

Definitely, dpkg all the way, dselect is just too slow.

Leland

__ Y_ a_ m_ b_ o_ | The leanest, meanest, fightinest sweet tater on Earth!
   oo o  oo o  o  |
    o       o   o | llucius@millcomm.com
 o oo    o     o  |
-- -- -- -- -- -- | http://www.millcomm.com/~llucius       (maybe one day)