Re: **** ARCHIVE MOVED TO MASTER SITE ****

[ i forward this to Ian and Bill Mitchell, who is the maintainer of the
dchanges package. Hello to both! ;-) ]

Dominik Kubla wrote lately:

> i will continue to forward all
> uploads to master.debian.org.

this would really be very nice. thank you.
for me it's impossible to get a stable ftp
connect to master.debian.org.

> > [dchanges files, pro's and con's]
> > so in the long term these packages won't require any
> > m68k specific changes either. So, I don't see any sense in doing this.
>
> But there is! The debian changes fill contains md5 checksums of the packages,
> so that their integrity can be checked!

well i can see this. nevertheless there are some points which make the
current dchanges package useless for us:
 - it _requires_ a sources .tar.gz file. we normally simply recompile
   the packages for our non-intel arch, so a --binary-only option,
   which at least doesn't include the source archive in the Files
   part, would be nice.
 - the Priority and the Changes sections should be copied from the
   source package, normally they simply don't change, at least the
   possible important source changes (such as security-fixes) mustn't
   be forgotten. the final call of the editor makes it possible to
   edit these fields if really necessary.
   [...]
   but this would require the maintainers of the sources to add this
   information in some debian.* files. (Ian?)
 - a Binary-Architecture field must be added which reflects the
   architecture of the binary package (intel, m68k, sparc, alpha and
   generic, the doc and the manpages packages at least are generic,
   i've installed them without any problems)
 - another field Source-Architecture should be set to generic by
   default. This field is needed as there _are_ some packages which
   will surely _never_ be _ported_ to another arch (syslinux, lilo, ...)
   they'd rather be totally rewritten for other archs.

an examples (taken from dchanges(5) and edited):