Re: Idea: diversity sponsorship

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> [2014-09-03 01:38 +0200]:
> The way this /could/ happen is by setting aside e.g. 10
> scholarships (e.g. valued 2.500 € each) and letting companies
> provide them. We could then use those scholarships to invite
> people who we think would substantially increase diversity of the
> conference.

So in the early days of the brochure, there was "travel sponsorship"
in the list of perks, but Marga (and others) voiced very good
concerns, and hence the perk is gone.

The main issue was that we could see companies short-circuiting
sponsorship that way and flying in their own people on this perk.

However, the above is different, and I think it'd be really cool to
have. I.e. ACME Corp. buys 2 scholarships, can advertise this as
such (and we do too), and we can give money to 2 people who we
/want/ to see at the conference, for diversity reasons.

We don't have to discuss diversity now, or lay down a definition,
because /we/ decide later, who we give those scholarships to.

Do you support this idea? Because if so, I'd be willing to try to
ave this included in the sponsorship brochure, even though it's very
late. Maybe dc-team won't let me, but I'd try ;)

Please let me know.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf15: Heidelberg, Germany: http://debconf15.debconf.org