Re: Sponsoring: expenses we should not pay directly

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:

>  - day trip

Increased social activity, showcasing the beautiful surroundings of
Heidelberg to the world, and sporty activities which increase health.

>   - conference dinner

As this is a social happening which heightens the chances of
high-grade speakers attending, thus increasing overall benefit and
exchange of knowledge etc pp...

> In our experience from other conferences, this could fly well, as
> sponsors are happy to spend more money if they get extravagant
> placement in return.

Said extravagant placement may alienate attendees or other sponsors. I
am not saying that would happen, but I am saying we should communicate
this early and clearly.
And it should not be the "ACME day trip SPONSORED BY ACME! BY THE WAY
ACME!" type sponsoring. A banner at the dinner may be OK; a speech by
a representative during dinner not so much. Point being, there should
be a balance and the perks clearly defined and weighed.

> Looking forward to your thoughts!

I think we can possibly redefine one or two items of the above to fit
with legal requirements, especially since perks like those are widely
regarded as integral part of a conference.

Still, I have no problem with direct sponsorship of events if done
right. Matter of fact, I always liked it. With a FOSDEM staff & beer
token sale hat on: the sponsored beer events are more fun than the
non-sponsored one we had this year. And all it takes to make (and
break...) that is the presence, or lack, of one single banner behind
the token sale.

Richard