Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Cheese and Wine party venue

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 06:48:55PM -0400, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> wrote:
> > Team, what do we do about this new requirement from Puppet Labs?

> > Christy Snow <christy.snow@puppetlabs.com> writes:
> >> One thing that I don't think that has been mentioned, for all events
> >> we have at the office we require a registration list.  This helps us
> >> plan for exactly how many will be attending and our chance to present
> >> our Events Code of Conduct.  We usually create a simple Eventbrite
> >> that we can send to attendees (doesn't take more than 3 minutes to
> >> fill out).

> > Since reconfirmation has already started, I'm guessing it's too late to
> > add a "Will be attending C&W party" checkbox to summit :(

> Did Patty ever come to a conclusion on?:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/debconf-team@lists.debconf.org/msg10905.html

I am having trouble getting traction in the discussion on the mailing list.
I've escalated the issue to Lucas and Moray and am waiting on them for a
decision on just adopting it.

I *could* unilaterally just declare it in effect for DC14, as it has full
support of the entire DC14 local team, but my goal was to make it a globally
adopted CoC. It builds off DC13's statement, the Debian CoC, and ensures all
attendees of their treatment by organizers, with RichiH's suggestions on
protecting everyone involved included.

> I'm asking because if the two are largely in alignment, perhaps having
> the attendees in compliance with the DebConf CoC, will be fine for PL?

> If they aren't in alignment, I'd be concerned about enforcing
> something we don't agree with upon our attendees.

Agreed.

> In addition I see an issue forcing DebConf attendees to use
> EventBrite. (People will get upset.)

Well, "people" are always going to be upset about *something*. 1 oz cups,
for example, the distance from the university, for example - needing to
register is just going to be Another Thing. I'm more concerned about lack of
compliance, then people just showing up.

I would like the wine and cheese party to be open to anyone with a legit
DebConf14 badge on, to be honest.

Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski