Re: [Debconf-team] Request to Adjust Budget for Social Events

Hello, team!

I now have a more formal contract under consideration for the conference
dinner. The daytrip remains the same as it was before, but now I have a very
clear idea of what costs will be for the conference dinner, which are just
slightly over what I requested the adjustment earlier.

Bottom line, I'd like to transfer another $1500 to the conference dinner
budget, bringing the conference dinner budget from $9900 to $11400 USD.  I
request the funds to come from the daytrip budget excess, which would take
that down to $3474 USD.

In reviewing the budget and the current status of the daytrip planning, this
change will not affect the trip as planned, and will give us an enjoyable
conference dinner.

The proposal for the conference dinner:

Punch Bowl Social - Portland[0]

* Food would be a buffet-style "Taco Truck" with vegan,
  vegetarian and meat options.

* Entertainment provided will be bowling (with complimentary
  bowling shoes as a non-profit organization!), floor
  shuffleboard, ping pong, karaoke and darts.

* My padding this time gives us the option of giving each
  attendee a single drink ticket (for beer or wine), and
  the bars will be available for further purchase of mixed
  drinks and more beer/wine.  I can also, if the team thinks
  it's appropriate, approach a couple of our sponsors who
  have previously indicated interest in providing drinks
  for attendees.

* Location is close to PSU, so those who can't, or aren't
  interested in walking will have the option of public
  transportation. However, walking will be the best option.

Details:
* I have a contract from Punch Bowl Social - Portland,
  offering food and entertainment for 280 people.

* Currently, the contract indicates $10650 will
  be the total (I'm padding) for food and entertainment
  (bowling, darts, shuffleboard, ping pong and karaoke).

  (which we're at - good lord, 60 days to DebConf), and need a
  50% deposit that will be non-refundable after 60 days
  (effectively, non-refundable at this point).

* The food is based per person, so if we go over 280, naturally,
  our costs go up (as expected). The balance of the amount owed is
  due upon completion of the dinner.

* Time is of the essence. I have a few weeks before I'm *required* to have
  the contract signed, however, if any other groups attempt to book for the
  date I've requested, we'll have to either go forward or yield the booking
  to the other group.  I'd much rather have the matter at hand decided and
  request SPI to send them the deposit check within the next 2 weeks.

I sincerely believe this will be a fun event, and probably truly different
than anything we've done in the past. My office held our holiday party there
last year and it was great fun.

See you all soon in Portland!
Patty

[0] http://punchbowlsocial.com/

Patty Langasek
harmoney@debian.org

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski