Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 08:50:32PM +0200, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> On 08/10/13 19:05, Patty Langasek wrote:
>
> > And, I agree with this. I had hoped the mailing list discussion would be
> > more fruitful than it has been in the 1.5 weeks that it's been open.
> > Unfortunately, we need to make a decision, and it seems interest in the
> > thread has died down. If I'm incorrect in that, all the better to actually
> > have a meeting to make the decision soon while we still have the few ideas
> > proposed fresh in our minds.

> Why don't we try to outline possible scenarios, so we can later discuss
> on more concrete plans? I see many unknowns here that need to be cleared
> before we can reach a conclusion, also there are a few unanswered
> questions in the thread. I know the local team has a vision for this,
> and some of the rest have a different one, but let's hear everybody's
> opinion, and try to reach an agreement that does not leave anybody upset.

> So far, the only choices I have seen are:

> 1. No DebCamp, a few hack-only sessions during debconf, and less talks
> to have more time for hacking.
> 2. Pre-debconf sprints, dunno on the debconf schedule. Supposedly, high
> costs for venue and rooms. Intended to be very targeted and focused on
> specific teams (if I've read correctly).
> 3. Post-debconf debcamp. Possible dates not known (Steve, can you
> comment on this?). Patty mentioned 4th as a possible last day, which
> would make a 4-day debcamp, which is not bad in my opinion.

> Any other ideas? Can we discuss on the pros, cons, and costs of the options?

> As a side note, I'd propose separating the discussion of pre-debconf
> setup, as the local team has already assured there will be allowances
> for a small group of people to start working beforehand.

The immediate need we have right now is for a decision on the DebConf dates,
so that we can unblock on getting a contract with the venue and formally
announce the dates.  There is room for deciding later whether we will have
additional "satellite" events with reduced attendance, whether those events
are called DebCamp or whether they are a collection of sprints.

So with respect to the DebConf dates, we have two mutually-incompatible
options on the table that we need to come to a decision between.

 1) Make DebConf > 1 week, with distinct scheduling for talks vs. hack time
    (exact split to be determined).  This will reduce the overall number of
    talks, but because the event itself is made longer, it doesn't have to
    reduce by much while still giving everyone hack time.
 2) Stick with the traditional one-week DebConf, presumably with a full
    schedule of talks and with the only explicit hack time "outside"
    (DebCamp/sprints).

I'm certainly strongly in favor of the first option.  From reading the list,
I'm not sure if there's anyone strongly opposed to this.  People have
legitimately raised concerns that DebConf already has a full talk schedule,
so reducing the number of talk slots may not be a good thing; and it's clear
that people care about having some kind of "sprint" associated with the
conference, but it's less clear whether these people feel that this rules
out the extended-week DebConf.

Is it possible for us to separate the question of DebCamp/sprints from the
question of DebConf dates, or do people feel these questions are too
intertwined?  Could the people who have opinions here please comment on
whether they would be happy with option 1) in broad form, and whether their
approval of this is contingent on there also being a DebCamp event open to
all?  (I.e., as opposed to DPL-approved sprints)

To try to get a decision in a reasonable amount of time, I'll put a time
limit on comments on this question.  If you have opinions on this matter,
please reply to this mail before next Saturday, October 19.  If the
consensus emerges before then, all to the better; if not, we will follow up
on the question at the IRC meeting on Saturday and make a final decision
then.

Thanks,