Re: tallylights

Hi derpeter!

(sorry for delay in response, I've been traveling back from
FOSDEM/sleeping :) )

On 2019/02/04 14:13, derpeter wrote:
> i was pointed to your blog post about building a new tally light.
>
> We have already build much of what you describe in blog.
>
> See https://c3voc.de/wiki/projects:tallycom
>
> https://c3voc.de/wiki/projects:tallycom:bestand
>
> The script already interacts with the voctocore :-)

Great stuff!

> I also have already a version with a small OLDED screen on my desk an
> proof of concept mumble setup running on the pi.
>
> For sending messages to the display i plan to use mumble. I also have
> already hacked some basic support for the display in go to merge it into
> the mumble client (which is also go).
>
> We also have already tested some headsets to use for the intercom part.

Yeah I was told that ccc already had a pi for tally that does mumble,
it's nice to see some details about that.

> As our goals seem to be very similar, lets have a mumble soonisch and
> join forces!

Sounds great! Yeah it makes complete sense to do that. We plan to add a
display (like
https://www.amazon.com/ThyWay-Touch-Screen-Protective-Raspberry/dp/B07L4PKDK3)
to our PIs and attach them to the camera using a boot. We plan to rely
less on voice because we don't want directors barking orders at camera
operators, and we also don't want camera operators generating noise in a
talk room. That said, we're not at all against the idea of using mumble
and it's certainly nice to have the option to use it when necessary.

We'll also rely on using a pi3b+ specifically, because we're planning to
netboot it, with current plans to download a ~100MB squashfs image and
then keep that in memory (so that it can deal with intermittent network
losses as apposed to using something like nfs/nbd). That means that we
can quickly provision by just building the images as part of our ansible
deployment and the only configuration that's necessary on-site would be
to select the pi mac addresses from the dhcp logs and assign their
positions.

We're also considering using the touch screen for certain kinds of
communication back (like a "I need help" button or "Yes"/"No").
Obviously that would have to be used very selectively since the device
will be attached to the camera, but I like your idea of using external
buttons for that.

For actual tally light, Andy has an idea to attach a small strip of RGB
lights to the PI, which will allow choosing of both brightness and
colour. Typically we wouldn't want to use too high brightness because we
don't want to distract the speaker/audience with it, but we could do
something like have the LEDs burn a bit brighter when a mode is changed
or when it seems like we've lost the attention of the camera operator.

For messaging we plan to use the socket of voctomix-core and use this
both to choose tally cards and activate lights, I think that might end
up being a better method to send messages than using mumble... but,
having said that we don't have specific code for that yet and I haven't
seen that implementation yet, but I'm sure we can figure it out :)

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage