Re: [Debconf-video] Testing Nageru in parallel during DC17? [was: (Re: Report from last week-end's single-user single-day DebConf Video sprint)]

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 04:32:19PM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I low-level lurk -video and, of course, read Planet Debian. Full
> disclosure, I also helped Sesse with his Prometheus[1] integration in
> anticipation of needing that in February 2018.
>
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be> wrote:
> > I do agree that higher resolution is generally better, and we should
> > consider to switch to 1080p in a few years, when technology has improved
> > to a level where it makes technical sense for us to push that far.
>
> This does seem to be within easy reach even today, given Nageru's[2]
> performance characteristics.

For clarity, I'm not just talking about performance; I'm also talking
about the fact that mixing FullHD video on a single FullHD monitor is
difficult, so you'd need to have two monitors, or a 4K one, or to scale
your video as well as mix it. And then there's also the increased
bandwidth requirements of FullHD as opposed to 720p.

It's definitely something we need to be considering; but given that 720p
is already an improvement, not something urgent IMO.

As for Nageru specifically, I'm also not convinced it's the best choice
for DebConf:

- We need to ship loads of hardware around the world all the time. For
  cameras this makes sense, since they are expensive to rent, but for
  laptops or computers (which can be borrowed or rented locally), not so
  much. If we want to use voctomix, we can just say "a reasonably recent
  processor". If we want to use Nageru, we need to say "a reasonably
  recent processor with a powerful enough display adapter that has a
  driver which is not crap". This is a slightly more problematic thing
  to do
- The team developing gstreamer and voctomix is larger than "just
  Sesse". We've just moved away from dvswitch that suffered from the
  "not enough developers" problem; we shouldn't move to another tool
  which might have or develop a similar problem down the road. Granted,
- Nageru, given that it was written on top of Sesse's own video library,
  has less support for random hardware that we might want to use and/or
  connect to it. Granted, such support could be written, but that brings
  us back to the previous point.

I think nageru is awesome; when Sesse first blogged about it a few years
ago, I also suggested it to the video team. But the response back then
was, rightfully, that vocto seemed more mature. That bit is probably not
the case anymore right now, but it's still true that we should be
careful before we make the switch.

> Especially considering the new cameras DPL OK'ed the budget for, it
> would seem like a bit of a waste not to try and get 1080p50, or
> 1080p30, out of them today;

I don't think 1080p50 (or, well, p60, given that we're dealing with
Canada here, not the EU) is all that useful, but 1080p30 isn't something
I'm opposed to -- in a few years or so, given the context of the above.

> else, buying cheaper cameras now and waiting until the price drops for
> higher-framerate Q/FHD cameras might be more cost-effective and result
> in a larger hardware pool within a few years.

And no video this year -- that isn't an option. Remember, our current
cameras are falling apart (and if they weren't, we're short a room).

We need these cameras now, not in a few years.

> As it's not trivial to change a whole setup over night and because
> people are most focused before/during the actual events, preliminary
> FOSDEM planning is to record the main talk room with the existing
> system and Nageru in parallel. I do wonder if something similar would
> work for DebCamp/-Conf.

We should definitely install nageru onto one (or more) of the machines,
and test it out during off hours. But only during off hours; for this
year, we should prioritize recording on voctomix, not nageru.

> I do know that this topic is controversial due to personal reasons,

Not for me :-)

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab