Re: [Debconf-video] Approval for DebConf Video Team equipment purchases

Dear Chris,

>> * 6 Cameras (3000 EUR ea = 18000 EUR)
>> * 5 BlackMagic PCI cards (165 EUR ea = 825 EUR)
>> * 2 Opsis boards (450 EUR ea = 900 EUR)
>> * 2 Flight cases (600 EUR ea = 1200 EUR)
>
> Would be very happy to approve, but first can you just outline for
> myself and for the leader@ history why we don't "already" have these
> cameras? :)  I mean, I've seen cameras at DebConfs before :)

We currently own 2 large prosumer cameras and 2 handheld camcorders. The
two other cameras for coverage of a third room at past DebConfs were
usually hired. At DC16 we tested using new mixing software (voctomix),
which is capable of doing HD video (we used 720p) over SDI cabling and
decided to move to it as our mixing software of the future. Previously
we used software that only worked with standard definition (dvswitch),
over old, short firefire cables. The issue is that our current cameras
cannot handle HD video, nor can they take SDI out and so are
incompatible with the new voctomix setup.

These new cameras would mean that we do not have to hire any cameras on
location and would make testing and developing our setup easier as they
will not change every DebConf

Cheers
Kyle