Re: [Debconf-video] Training video: voctomix

On 11/09/17 11:02, Kyle Robbertze wrote:
On 11/09/2017 00:29, Carl Karsten wrote:
On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be
<mailto:w@uter.be>> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 04:14:12PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
items to cover:

Each input stream is 1 video and 1 audio  (too obvious?)
I don't think we should talk about the audio bit (vocto operators can't
change that anymore, anyway)
I mostly agree, but I am conflicted.   I don't want people wondering
"How does the audio get routed?"   not that they need to know, but I
don't want them being distracted wondering.

that's my thought - didn't say it was a good one.   If no one says any
more on this I'll leave it out.
I think it should be something mentioned in documentation, but the
videos should only cover the essentials (otherwise the length will start
to creep up more than what people are happy to watch).

If we are going to produce a series of (short) training videos we should cover the following topics
Operator guides:
  * use of voctomix
  * A camera operator 101
  * Directing a talk session
  * Sound mix

As already mentioned I'm trying to put together a series of setup guides, I guess we can cover these as a more detailed video tutorial as well
  * Equipment setup for debconf talk room (physical setup)
  * Sound Engineering (beyond just moving the appropriate slider)   <-- this would take to video particularly well
  * Making a sponsor loop

  * Debconf streaming infrastructure(I'll need help here)
  * Opsis & Capture I   - Physical setup
* Opsis & Capture II  - Hardware build
* Opsis & Capture III - Software build and deplyment (I'll need help here)
  * Voctomix configuration (Beyond my skills)
  * Review and archive process(Beyond my skills)

Finally, I am in the process of writing up a "Talks and presentations 101" (for work, but it is also relevant here) which covers:
  * Know your audience, Know your subject
  * Producing slides
  * Demonstrations & when to fake it
* Stage presence
  * Timing

Voctomix gui has an audio meeter - for people that know audio, nothing.
everyone else: "keep the peek between 1/2 and 3/4"   or "...-20db to -2db" ?
That's more for the audio operator rather than the voctomix operator,
though?
(yes, you have both jobs be done by the same person, but we don't -- I
think they should be different videos, and you can always play both to
the same person if it matters)
The person watching voctogui will be the one to see those meters.    I
have never seen an audio operator monitor the video mixer screen.
Maybe during a sound check, but not during a talk.

I didn't say what the video operator should do, they can throw wads of
paper at the audio operator if that's what it takes.
I agree with this, the video operator is the one who can easily check
the levels being received and so should be aware of the nominal levels
that should be coming into vocto

Ack, video operator is sat in front of the voctomix screen so can see the audio levels.  That said the person performing the sound mix should periodically check levels too - on voctomix and the stream(s). Far too often people tell me that the sound is good because they are listening to the sound on the HP socket of the desk, they are not looking at the levels coming out of the desk, nor are they looking at the sound levels on the feed camera or video mixer. Whet they are actually saying is the "RELATIVE sound MIX" is good (they have a separate headphone volume control).  We do need to instil a need for "normal" levels, at the desk, on the feed camera, and in voctomix;  you can't just boost this later.

/Andy