Re: [Debconf-video] Training video: voctomix

I like.

I think we can/should avoid hardware specifics.  I don't have the same hardware, makes it a show stopper for me for a few good reasons.
So  for now we can also avoid the two hardware subjects ;)

Let's start with Voctomix.

meta: soon this will live on a wiki, but I want more perspectives first. more cooks!  Below is 1/2 to start an outline, and 1/2 to figure out the scope. like "mixed stream is saved (yes include) in 30 min chunks (doesn't matter?)"

scope:   What a person needs to operate it, not set it up.
Show up 5 min before a talk is scheduled to start, walk out 5 min after it ends.

items to cover:

Each input stream is 1 video and 1 audio  (too obvious?)

Voctomix gui has an audio meeter - for people that know audio, nothing.  everyone else: "keep the peek between 1/2 and 3/4"   or "...-20db to -2db" ?

When the talk is starting, the Talk Master (sp?) should do this

https://veyepar.nextdayvideo.com/main/talk_intro.pdf/394/pyohio_2017_talk_intro.pdf
"Point at the Video Director, when they point back begin the introduction. (Video starts now.)"

When a presenter puts up new slide, switch to slide, read the text on the slide, (twice?) switch back to presenter.

Don't thrash - if you find yourself flipping between slides and presenter more than 2x a minute (er, no idea how often really?)  switch to slides and hold there  for a minute, even it is boring.  that's better than making the vierwer sea sick.

meta:  How do we reconcile the preferences of different team leads?  Like  Ryan doesn't like PnP, says vollies play with it too much, says "everything full screen, one stream at a time."   I love PnP - part of my training includes "even though you can't read the text, the viewer will like knowing there isn't anything new on the screen."

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Louis-Philippe Véronneau <pollito@riseup.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have a vision for what the videos(s) would cover?

I think making 1 video that tries to cover everything is a mistake.
Volunteers might just want to learn the basics of using the cameras, or
just using the audio mixer.

Making 1 long coherent video is also much harder and if we change part
of our setup we are screwed and need to retape the whole thing.

So I guess we could go:

1 - How to use a camera & helpful camera (magic) tricks.
2 - Audio mixers: become a sound wizard under 10 minutes.
3 - Mixing video is not sorcery! A voctomix how-to.
4 - Using SReview ... I can't find a nice magic related pun :(

I think those would cover most of the important stuff.

> how long it will be

I think the maximum length is 10 minutes. For business reasons, most
YouTube videos are now 10 minutes long and people are used to watch
videos that long.

I think having something longer will deter people. Short of a max of 10
minutes, I guess it should depend on the content.

The main problem I see with making those videos is that they will depend
a lot on our actual gear. We should try to make them as general as possible.

Oh, and finally I think most of the videos runtime should be voice-over.
That way we can remix much more easily to get a nice and clear final
video. If need be, only voice has to change if we make a mistake,
instead of having to film someone all over again.

--
pollo