Re: [Debconf-video] One proposal about debconf16 videos

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Wouter Verhelst <w@uter.be> wrote:
> > By the way, there are many sessions and many recorded one with high quality,
> > but it requires enough bandwidth to watch them or download them.
> > low quality version of video optionally.
> >
> > To talk about this topic, I tried to some experimental conversion.
> >
> > Here is the command line to play with it:
> >   ffmpeg -i original.webm converted.webm
> >
> > This executes conversion from vp8 & vorbis to vp9 & opus.
>
> While losing some quality in the process. If we were to transcode to
> VP9, it would be done from the source files, not from the currently
> produced files.

Sure, I don't have source files, so just use produced files as a demonstrate.
(I think that it should be discussed by the fact about transcode file size)

> I did consider creating VP9/Opus WebM files of all the talks before
> debconf and debcamp, but I decided not to, in the end:

> - While having smaller files for similar quality is useful, I'm not
>   convinced that producing low-quality versions of video files is still
>   very useful in this day and age.
>
> It's certainly on my TODO list to look at producing VP9/Opus files for
> next year, but I am of the opinion that this year is too soon.

Thank you for explanation in detail! I'm not a expert but I think
your decision is reasonable.

To be precise, I'm not intended to insist "we need to switch from VP8 to VP9",
I just want to say "Please, provide us low-quality versions of video files".
The command line which converts from vp8 to vp9 is just example to reduce size.

--
Kentaro Hayashi <kenhys@gmail.com>