Re: [Debconf-video] [Debconfsubs-team] subtitling 101

at bottom :-

On 04/05/2016, alberto fuentes <pajaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
> wrote:
>
>> yes, for historic reasons and because it is indeed easier to setup
>> things on alioth, anybody can do that, while for adding stuff on
>> debconf.org infrastructure you need an account.
>>
>> the subtitle effort started as an kind of an add-on on top of the
>> videoteam, they worked independently and improved the videoteams work.
>>
>> today it seems like we'll have subtitling as part of the videoteam work
>> from the beginning, which is great, "but" it's also a new thing.
>>
>> and "now" is probably also a good time to do changes to the
>> infrastrcuture setup…
>>

> As I said to Shirish on the subs ml, I hadnt even noticed that we are on
> separate servers :)
>
> Feel free to move us around to the official server if it needs to be done.
>
> I dont know what that implies tho. We get by fine for now. Can new people
> join/apply for the team freely for example? If the answer is no, maybe we
> are better suited for alioth anyway, where people only needs an alioth
> account that they can create themselves without burden the creation of
> users to anybody, even if visually we arent under the same debconf.org
> domain

I don't think there will be any change to the apply method. AFAIK you
just need to have an e-mail address and you can subscribe/sign-up to
debconf mailing lists as well.

I needed to make a self-certificate (for the browser) but that was
because I wanted to apply for debconf.  For the mailing lists as far
as I can tell it is the same procedure as it is for lists.debian.org
or lists.alioth.debian.org .

I am sure holger will correct me if I'm wrong in the assessment.

I looked at amara, and apart from the community page  (where debian or
debconf isn't listed)

http://www.amara.org/en/community

I however do understand why it's not there, probably because it's young.

Alberto, in one of the emails you shared before, that you get mails
from amara about all the debconf videos that are there (or something
to that effect.)

How do you do that ? Do people mail you when they work on a specific
video/subtitle or is there some sort of automated solution that is not
documented. Some sort of filtering and getting messages on base of
that in e-mail.

I searched the wiki but couldn't find any info. about how to help out
in amara if that's the web-service we are using (amara.org) . In the
mail archives, I read about having amara-like site as apparently amara
is open-source but that didn't seem to work out.  Any info. on both
points would be appreciated.

I do understand that the only video webservice it is integrated right
now is youtube and the only channel I could find is the debconf
unofficial channel which has some videos of last year's but most are
from 2005 debconf and some from 2004 (so old).

I did find individual videos uploaded by user jalal al-haj who has got
all the playlist from debconf 15 .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT8AzqjX3oMHtk8zDOa_xWA

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8ZG1e9MPlz2bUTzfgJhOJCxwT866D4w

I am guessing this is what is being used as a source for the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4raVaLK3BjkMk-8o6ayE8A

Could someone share if debian or/and debconf have an official channel
on youtube or if one is in works. I do know that principally Debian
doesn't approve lot of activities that Google does, is it because of
that we don't have official channels or it's just one more thing that
needs volunteers and that's why it isn't there. I do understand that
making a channel, replying to people's comments and moderating will
take lot of time.

Look forward to learning about above.
--
          Regards,