Re: [Debconf-video] Remote video participation (more unsupported hardware?)

On 20/08/15 12:34, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the perl team were have been discussing bringing in remote participants
> with two way video. There are two issues to solve here:
>
> * multi-participant Debian friendly video chat
>   * Daniel, I'd be particularly interested in recommendations for this;
>     bonus points if it works in jessie

For normal two-party phone calls, rtc.debian.org is OK, we used it for a
meeting with a GSoC mentor on Monday and it was perfectly stable.

meet.jit.si is good for multi-party (3 or more participants in a call)

https://meet.jit.si will work with jessie in one of two ways:
- you use the patched libsrtp (hopefully it will be available in stable
soon)
- you use the chromium.deb from wheezy (and put a dpkg hold on it to
avoid accidental upgrades)

meet.jit.si is run as a demo by the Jitsi people.  It is not guaranteed
to be available 24x7 but it is good enough for you to evaluate and
decide if you like this style of communication.

If meet.jit.si is OK for you, we could then discuss it with DSA and look
at running an official version of it on the supported debian.org
infrastructure.  It is all open source.

> * Spare small PA system (anything better than laptop speakers, really)
>   that we could borrow to get sound to the room. Even better would be
>   sending this via the mixer so that remote sound goes to the stream,
>   but that may be too complicated.
>
> I realise it may not work smoothly, but I'd be interested in giving it a
> try as it seems like a natural next step for supporting remote
> participation.
>
> If anyone can help out on either side please ping me.

Please note I'm not still at DebConf15 myself, I had to leave Tuesday
night.  I'm intermittently contactable on email.  The Jitsi team are on
#jitsi and they are very helpful, they are also Debian users, so if you
need to test or discuss it, you may find it easier to make contact there.

Regards,

Daniel