Re: [Debconf-video] [Debconf-team] A/V opt-out for speakers (Re: Thinking of organising a special mini-debconf

[Adding debconf14-team to the Cc:]

Hi folks,

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 02:05:19PM +0200, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> > a.) tell the talks+video team before the talk that you dont want to be
> > videoed (or only audioed), thats totally fine.  (But we really should
> > have this in the conference management system.)

> Open Source Days in Copenhagen made me sign a waiver on which I could
> also select a license for my talk. Requiring such a waiver is a
> low-tech way to ensure there's actual consensus.

> Another option would be a required field in penta where you _have_ to
> select if you want to be taped/audio recorded/whatever else.

> Formalizing either, or a different, process for appearance and license
> would make it easy to avoid any "pushing of boundaries" and do so in a
> non-discriminatory manner. Doing this in penta would allow attendees
> to attend non-taped talks and watch taped talks later.

I've captured this requirement now in the wiki:

  https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf14/RequirementsGathering

I don't think we want anything so elaborate as a signed waiver; and I also
think we can and should assume that by default people giving talks are ok
being videotaped and need to opt out, otherwise people will overlook the box
and we'll wind up chasing all speakers down to find out what they really
want.  But having preferences captured in the registration interface is
definitely something we should do.

If there are other things we missed from the current registration system
that you think we should capture for next year, feel free to add them on
that wiki page - though preferably with discussion on the list first.

> > On a related note: we should probably also provide an area in the audience
> > which shall not be filmed, not all attendees are comfortable with that. The
> > problem with this is that this can only happen on a best effort basis...

> That may be hard in practice, especially considering that there's a
> second camera facing the audience to take shots of people asking
> questions and, sometimes, full view of attendees and their reactions.

> If we start down this road, color-coded name tags to designate people
> who do not wish to be photographed are another logical step.

The main reason to attend a talk in person, rather than just watching it on
the video stream, is to be able to participate.  If the talk is being video
taped, and you don't want to be on video, you obviously aren't going to be
reaching for the microphone, so there's no reason you need to be in the
room.

Therefore the logical place for people to sit who don't want to be taped is
"somewhere else".  Let's not make it the video team's problem to tape off
areas that are guaranteed to be out of view of the camera, we already do a
fine job meeting the needs of such attendees with the awesome realtime video
streams.

Thanks,