Re: [Debconf-video] Debian and Miro Community

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:

Hi Asheesh,

First, thanks for PCF offers here (also your's). We've talked (mostly you and
Holger) in debconf-video IRC channel about this. Now I'll try to summarize the
relevant points here in order to address our next steps on this issue.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:12:40 -0400 (EDT), Asheesh Laroia wrote
Hi Debconf video team,

So, hi. I'm working with the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF)
 on Miro Community. I'm also a person who works on packages in
Debian every once in a while, and goes to Debconfs whenever I can.

Miro Community is free, Django-based, AGPLv3-licensed software that
anyone can use to create a curated video collection on the web. We
also host instances of it, like http://debian.mirocommunity.org/.
Participatory Culture Foundation is a US-based non-profit that is
dedicated to supporting a democratic media by creating open and
decentralized video tools and services. Lately we've been asking
Miro Community sites with a lot of videos, custom options, or
multiple admins to help us offset hosting and software development costs.

Tiago wrote a post here
<http://tiagovaz.org/weblog/index.cgi/english/20110406.01-bye-miro-
community> about it. As y'all know, debian.mirocommunity.org is
above a few of the limits of our free-of-cost hosting tier.

There are a few reasonable ways forward:

* Debian can self-host a Miro Community instance; I'm happy to help
with that. I'm the upstream maintainer, and if someone else wants to
do packaging, I can do what I can to make that easy. That's likely
to be the most satisfying scenario for Debian. If we (Debian) are
lacking a shell account to run MC on, then I can let people have
access to the VM I'm using for expo.debian.net.

It seems we agreed to this option:

20:32 < h01ger> MeetBot, pingall feedback on self hosting a miro setup like
described above welcome! :-)

...for the following reasons:

18:47 < moray> h01ger: right, Debian doesn't lack hardware.

18:48 < moray> and something simpler like a slightly-fixed
http://people.debian.org/~moray/video/ could be used as a stopgap of course,
if that turns out not to be easy to get going somehow

Sounds good. It's not *that* hard to do, but it should be documented a bit. You guys are going to be pretty unhappy with the virtualenv-ness of http://develop.participatoryculture.org/index.php/Run_your_own_Miro_Community_site (indeed, I am not super happy with it).

So we're almost there :) If there's no objection, let's schedule a meeting to start the Miro setup in apu.dc.o. Your help will be very appreciated. At least 1 apu admin is needed for this meeting.

Please: http://www.doodle.com/krzqtedbym8r6h7s

I answered!

-- Asheesh.

--
-- Asheesh.

http://asheesh.org/

You could live a better life, if you had a better mind and a better body.