Re: [Debconf-video] dvswitch segmentation fault

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:02:43 +0200, Beren Walters <berenwalters@gmail.com> wrote:

Guys,

Is dvswitch still under development?

 It started just a few months ago, and the first major was being used for
the video streams from Debconf7 in Edinburgh.  That was two weeks ago.
Dvswitch performed very well, considering the short period of development.

 In its current state, it is prudent to have Ben (the developer) nearby,
though.  That's why I am cc-ing the Debconf Video Team's mailing list.

I work for a community television
station and thought it sounded like a great way we could switch live
recordings on a tight budget.

 If you have many computers and a few computer geeks to run the show,
that is.  Those are commodities at gatherings like Debconf.

 We have not yet developed support for tally lights, talkback and
colour correction or fading/wiping/PiP (in that order-ish).

All of the packages seem up to date and installed fine under Debian Etch
(XFce desktop, all latest updates) but everytime the dvswitch executable
received the first frame of video from dvsource-firewire (either from file or firewire is the same and dvgrab works fine with the command line in the
dvsource-firewire source files) it causes a segmentation fault.

 Is this from an NTSC or PAL camera?

Strace wasn't particularly helpfull (it ends with an mmap2 - I can supply if
it will help).

I have recompiled the packages trying to get symbols for gdb but haven't
managed it yet so gdb wouldn't show me the line in your prog that was the
issue - the backtrace without the symbols is roughly:

std::range_error::~range_error
(repeats a few times)
GLib::IOSource::dispatch
GLib::Source::dispatch_vfunc
g_main_context_dispatch
g_main_context_check
g_main_loop_run
gtk_main
Gtk::Main::run_impl
Gtk::Main::run
??
___libc_start_main
??

I can send all of this too you if it will help but I thought there might be
something simple I was missing.

Thanks for your time guys - great project.

Beren.

 I'll refer to Ben; he might know what questions to ask...

--
Herman Robak