Re: [Debconf-video] Re: Proposed licence for Debconf video recordings

[Sorry for the dupe, Don.  I meant to reply only to these lists.]

Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Ben Hutchings wrote:
<snip>

Thanks for the diff.

> This is pretty much is just the XFree86 license; I don't think there's
> any problem with works under this licence being considered DFSG Free.
>
> > Does this appear free and reasonably applicable to such recordings?
> > I seem to remember that there are some specific legal terms relating
> > to copyright of audio recordings. Is there a legal term that would
> > cover "transcoding"?
>
> There are probably a couple, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking
> for here.
<snip>

"Transcoding" is a technical term that might not be understood in law.
There is a term "mechanical translation" but I'm not sure whether that
refers to machine translation of human language or also to format
conversion.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
All extremists should be taken out and shot.