[Debconf-video] Re: Proposed licence for Debconf video recordings

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> This is a proposed licence text for the Debconf video recordings
> (and potentially other audio and video recordings), based on the
> MIT/X licence:

Copyright [-(C) 1994-2003 The XFree86 Project, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.-]
 {+(c) <year> <copyright holders>+}

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
a copy of this [-software and associated documentation files (the
"Software"),-] {+recording,+} to deal in the [-Software-]
{+recording+} without restriction, including without limitation the
rights to use, copy, {+transcode,+} modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the [-Software,-]
{+recording,+} and to permit persons to whom the [-Software-]
{+recording+} is [-furnished-] {+furnished+} to do so, subject to the
following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be [-included in-]
{+distributed with+} all copies {+and transcodings of the recording+} or
substantial portions [-of the Software.-] {+thereof.+}

THE [-SOFTWARE-] {+RECORDING+} IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY
OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE [-XFREE86 PROJECT-] {+AUTHORS
OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS+} BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE,
ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE [-SOFTWARE-]
{+RECORDING+} OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE [-SOFTWARE.-]
{+RECORDING.+}

This is pretty much is just the XFree86 license; I don't think there's
any problem with works under this licence being considered DFSG Free.

> Does this appear free and reasonably applicable to such recordings?
> I seem to remember that there are some specific legal terms relating
> to copyright of audio recordings. Is there a legal term that would
> cover "transcoding"?

There are probably a couple, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking
for here.

> Are there loopholes by which someone could legally remove the
> copyright notice and permission notice?

I don't believe so; since it's just the XFree86 license, and no one
has been able to modify it in that fashion before, I kind of doubt it.

Don Armstrong

--
Junkies were all knitted together in a loose global macrame, the
intercontinental freemasonry of narcotics.