Re: [Debconf-video] Re: debconf6 video wishlist :)

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 18:50 -0600, John Lightsey wrote:
<snip>
> > > Chopping videos at the beginning and end could be minimized.  If the
> > > moderator gave a signal to start the talk, waited 3 seconds and then
> > > began, we wouldn't need to crop the front.  On the tail end, stop the
> > > recording as the applause dies down.  You'd have to convince tolimar to
> > > limit his introduction to "Here's Blah with a talk entitled Blah"
> > > though.  :)
> >
> > This didn't seem to me to be too difficult, except that I didn't have a
> > good video editor with which to get precise timings.
>
> It was much worse on the raw video during the first few days.  Towards
> the end it wasn't much of a problem.

Sorry, I was thinking of the way I did it while transcoding.  Cutting
MPEG files without transcoding them is rather restrictive - the first
frame would always have to be a key frame.  At the DV stage you have
more flexibility, but I realise that processing such large files is
demanding.  Perhaps where a video doesn't need any editing other than
cutting, that could be done during the transcoding process.

> > > I hope copies of the 2005 DVDs will be sold at Debconf.
> >
> > I had thought of that, but am not sure of the logistics.
>
> Perhaps you can link up with someone in Mexico to burn them there?
> Hell, the DVDs from Debconf5 would be a nice addition to the bag of
> goodies at Debconf6.

Well that would solve the problem of guessing how many to make!

> > 3. We should be wary of losing audio/video synchronisation.  There were
> > a few videos where the audio was between 100 and 300 ms late (my
> > estimate).
>
> This was probably my fault.  Without using a video/audio cue like a
> clacker it's guesswork to line up two audio streams in Cinelerra.  The
> use of netcat for capturing video also caused lost frames in the booth
> stream which would slowly throw it out of sync from the front camera
> video.
>
> Mixing the front camera with the booth was a frustrating PITA in every
> possible way.

Not having got involved during DC itself, I'm afraid I don't know much
about the recording process and its challenges.  Perhaps you could
explain this to me in private mail?

> > 6. For two-part sessions, if they are happening this year, it would be
> > nice to have the parts joined with a fade in and out rather than
> > distributed as separate files.  (Although using separate files makes
> > chapter marks automatic in dvdauthor.)
>
> The files get really big though.  The video editing machines had ?70GB?
> of disk space so editing 2 hours of a presentation from 2 sources would
> have filled the hard drives.  We were really constrained by time, local
> disk space and the slow network connection last year.

What I mean is that the videos that are distributed should be joined
together with a fade.  At the DV editing stage I think it would only be
necessary to add the fade effect.  The joining together can be done at
the transcoding stage.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Anthony's Law of Force: Don't force it, get a larger hammer.